Thursday, April 21, 2011

Maundy Thursday



“And during supper Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself.  Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him”.

I never “got” the foot washing of the Maundy Thursday service, I will even admit, it always made me vaguely uncomfortable.  Much to much of a public display of devotion for someone who had been hiding from God for so many years.  Several years ago, while sitting with the choir watching the foot washing, I realized that there was nothing to understand or “get” about it, that it was an act of love and service and I had seen it happen before in another time and place.

While in nursing school I worked in the Intensive Care Unit as a secretary for the nurses and doctors in the unit.  One night while it was quiet and the lights were dimmed, and the only sounds in the unit were the various beeps and humming sounds of equipment, I watched a nurse care for a patient who was in a coma.  She spoke to her in a soft voice, constantly telling her what she was about to do, comforting her and telling her how much better she was doing, and finally washing her.  It all happened with incredible dignity and with such obvious love and caring, that I was moved to tears.

After he had washed their feet, had put on his robe, and had returned to the table, he said to them, ‘Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord---and you are right, for that is what I am.  So if I, your Lord and Teacher have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you.  Very truly, I tell you, servants are not greater than their master, nor are messengers greater than the one who sent them.  If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them’.”

 I would go on to care for many people in that same Intensive Care Unit, trying to be the nurse I saw that night.  Sometimes I think I succeeded, sometimes not, and sometimes only God knew. 

I give you a new commandment, that you love one another.  Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples”. 

We are called to follow Jesus, following his example, caring for each other in love.  It is so simple, but yet so hard.  Sometimes we will succeed, sometimes not, and sometimes only God will know.





No comments:

Post a Comment